MOTHER / SILVERSMITH / LAPIDARY / RANCHER
Desert Mama- Who is Stephanie and where can we find her? Tell us about yourself:
Stephanie Foley- Right now at this very moment I am a mother, homesteading on two acres and rounding up the chickens and bring in the dogs.
In the next hour I’ll be a one woman ran silversmithing / lapidary operation hand fabricating then back to the first hat.
DM- How long have you been designing jewelry and who taught you how to do this?
S- I’ve been teaching myself for the last 7 years now. The first two years I burned up everything- would get frustrated and step away from silver then go back to leather or knife making then back to silver.
It wasn’t until I got pregnant that it all really lined up in my head.
DM- What is your source of inspiration?
S- I grew up half the time at the beach surfing and the other time was at the foothills around horses.
I naturally fell in love with the beautiful engraved rodeo gear and the pretty conchos that I would get for my dogs collars I was making at the time. Id say anything wild and untamed is my biggest inspiration.
DM- If you had to choose, which gemstone is your favorite?
S- So glade you asked!
Turquoise is always going to be one lose to hear but Opals are really really special. They act as if they are alive- absorbing moisture from the air we are living in this very moment or releasing the moisture so it makes the colors change all depending on what’s going on around you.
DM- Show us your best work by now:
S- Is four turquoise stone cuff and a Smokey quartz engagement ring…
DM- The part you love the most of what you do, and the worst part:
S- I love getting completely lost in the mist of ideas flowing- the hours that I feel like just flew by and then I look down at my hand and there’s this amazing shinny work of art I had just made.
Worst part is trying to keep my hands from looking like ran over.
DM- Where and how would you like to see yourself 10 years from now?
S- I have dreams of ranch in Montana with heaps of cows and dogs and kids. A big barn where I can have my shop next the stables.
I’d love to teach again silversmithing and self sustainable living.
DM- Which is your best childhood memory?
S- Best childhood was getting a wild hair up my ass and taking off running up Nevada falls in Yosemite while on a family hike when I was 13.
Got to the top and looked around, realized I was alone then running back down to catch up with my folks that were the least happy with me but I was completely free for a moment.
DM- Your best quality and your worst defect:
S- Dedication and determination and I am the most stubborn hardheaded workhorse.
DM- Best part of living a ranch life:
S- Best part of ranch life is watching the world you are building yourself grown with you in life.
Each season is spent preparing for the next- each seed will one day feed my family.
DM- What do you do for fun?
S- I like to go down to the creek and catch tadpoles, ride my bikes, train in barrel racing but roadburn is my absolute favorite.
DM- A success and a failure:
S- Creating a perfect and healthy human and I failed at being full domesticated hahaha
– A phrase: “In God we trust everyone else pays cash.”
– A film: «Dazed and confused» is an all time fave for me.
– A song: Dillard & Clark. Don’t let me down.
– A drink: Bourbon on the rocks.
– A book: Animals in translation.
– A country: Loud and proud U. S. A.
WHAT DOES STEPHANIE PREFER?
- Ten years in a coma / Ten years in jail
- City life / Country life (Country strong forever)
- Talking to animals / Talking to the dead
- Having more time / Having more money (Please!)
- Constantly winter / Constantly summer (Mountain born)
- Having a family with 5 kids / Not having kids at all (bring it 4 more!)
- Always having your tees two sizes bigger / Having them one size small
- Only eating salty food/ Only eating sweet food
- Waking up in a desert / In a boat in the middle of the Ocean
- Something organized / Something improvised
- Visiting the past / Visiting the future
- Being submissive / Being dominant
- Reality / Fiction
- Never leaving your city / Not being able to return
- Continuing with your life / Restarting your life
- Knowing what you will die of / Knowing what day you will
- Music concert / Theater play
- Car trip / Motorcycle trip (Van Trip?)