LUKE | CHOP MERCHANDISE
Desert Mama- Who is Luke?
Luke- A Husband of 19 years and father of 3 boys and a girl, Owner of Chop Merchandise and Vintage Harley and Car enthusiast.
DM- What is Chop Merchandise and how did the idea of creating it come about?
L- Chop Merchandise is a place people who are into the vintage motorcycle scene can go and buy quality clothing, leather goods, posters, and custom knives and knuckle dusters.
It all came about during lunch with coworkers. They were talking about starting a company around tuner cars and I don´t know a damn thing about them but their business plan was good and I thought I could do the same thing with Choppers.
I’m also 6’4 and can never find clothing that fits me well, most shirts are cheap and shrink then end up in the closet to never be worn. I wanted to create a place to buy good quality and fitting clothing for people with the same interest as myself.
D- What inspires you and your creations?
L- For me it is just an idea that I have in my head and what drives me is to see if it´s actually a good one. haha.
Once it in my head it’s full speed ahead until it´s done.
D- In your experience, what is the key to success?
L- Passion for what you do and the willingness to put in the work.
D- Name a time when your patience was tested:
L- Almost every time I start a project.
Once I have an idea in my head it´s very hard for me to think about anything else until it´s finished. Some projects just take time and that test my patience.
D- The part you love most about what you do, and the worst part:
L- I love creating new things. Whether it’s a new shirt design or a custom knife it doesn´t matter.
The worst is not having enough hours in the day to finish everything I want to do.
I always think how nice it would be if I could take a pill that would make it so I didn’t need to sleep… with no side effects.
D- Where and how would you like to see yourself 10 years from now?
L- I would like to see myself back home Idaho closer to family and friends.
I would like to see Chop Merchandise expand into events and maybe trips.
D- You only have two days left, what would you do?
L- Don´t tell anyone but spend it with my family and friends.
Also make sure my wife knows exactly how much my cars and bikes are worth! haha
DM- Other interests apart from your work:
L- I have had a passion for cars and motorcycles since I can remember. I own a 1934 Ford 5 window coupe and a 1957 Panehead.
With 4 kids there interest trump mine so cars and bikes is about all I can handle outside of work.
DM- How is a perfect day in your life:
L- Wake up at 5:30am for a work out and sauna.
Work from 7:00 am – 3:30pm, come home and hit the shop for a couple hours working on knives and knucks.
Dinner with the family and hang out with them till 8ish, then back in the shop till late finishing up work.
DM- A success and a failure:
L- “Failure is a lesson learned. Success is a lesson applied.”
– A phrase: ¨Wish in one hand, Shit in the other. See which one fills up first.¨ My Great Grandma would always say this and I love it.
– A film: “Halfway to Nowhere” -Vimeo- Tim Caraco. I love films based around travel.
– A song: David Allan Coe- Live at Billy Bob’s Texas album. “Time Off For Bad Behavior”
– A drink: I live my life one Monster zero carb at a time. Sleep is overrated.
– A city: I really enjoy small towns. Spent a lot of time up by Glacier National Park in Northwest Montana, Could easily live up there.
WHAT DOES LUKE PREFER?
- Ten years in a coma / Ten years in jail (Jail for sure! learn a lot of life lessons in jail and your street cred would really go up.)
- City life / Country life (Country Life! But not too far from a big town, haha.)
- Talking to animals / Talking to the dead (Animals, watched a lot of films and people who talk to the dead never wish they could.)
- Having more time / Having more money (More time for sure, Nobody lies on there death bead wishing for
- A good book / A good movie (Love a good book but only have time for good movies lately.)
- Constantly winter / Constantly summer (Summer. Really would love a Constant Fall.)
- Only being able to whisper/ Only being able to scream (Then people would be forced to listen.)
- Lifetime free wifi / Lifetime free coffee (Wifi, not a big coffee drinker and wifi is just ingrained into our lives for better or worse.)
- Only eating salty food / To only eat sweet (Sweet, but both would suck.)
- Music concert / Theater play (Nothing beats live music.)
- Something organized / Something improvised (Something organized, I enjoy the prep work).
- Visiting the past / Visiting the future (Future looks bleak, I will go past for sure!)
- Being unable to see / Being unable to hear (Being unable to see, I think my other senses would be heightened and I dont think it´s that way with sight. Would get into music seem like the move for sure.)
- Reality / Fiction (Reality, I don´t read Fiction books, Like to learn something along the way.)
- Never leaving your city / Not being able to return (Not being able to return! I love to travel so that would be easy.)
- Continuing with your life / Restarting your life (Continuing my life, I don´t have many regrets in life and I would probably screw up the next shot anyways.)
- Knowing what you will die of / Knowing what day you will (I think day…. It would really free you up to take big chances up until that day.)
- Waking up in a desert / In a boat in the middle of the Ocean (If I have a boat and don´t have to deal with sharks I think I would go with Middle of the Ocean. Desert seems a little boring.)