KAE | SAKREDNOIR
Desert Mama- Who is Kae?
Kae- Kae is short for Karina. I’m the owner and creative director for my brand Sakred Noir, as well as an animal activist and occasional model.
D- When did the love for jewelry design come about?
K- I’ve always been creatively driven and started collecting vintage silver pieces while travelling.
The timelessness and continuity of them is lovely; something that can be passed on to the next generation. When I had the opportunity try my hand at design I jumped on it.
D- Tell us about your new project of motorcycle / lifestyle clothing.
K- Beyond stoked about this, I love and support so many badass indie motorcycle brands and the challenge of Sakred Noir bringing something unique to the scene is such a thrill!
The line is darkly provocative, with influences from both tattoo and vintage biker culture, same as our jewelry. The pieces are so comfy to lounge in yet perfect for the ride.
D- We have also seen you are a DJ and producer, tell us about this too, and if you had to choose, which job would you prefer doing the rest of your life?
K- Forever thankful for my years on stage playing around the world at some truly incredible parties!
More than happy to have given up a career behind the decks and fully focus on Sakred which I now find to be a more diverse creative outlet. Still gonna make beats though, we’re producing a video look book for our clothing release and a special track just for it.
D- Where and how would you like to see yourself 10 years from now?
K- Oh I’m manifesting a self-sustained alpaca ranch as we speak! lol.
I see myself wearing crocs (with spurs) on the porch, writing a terribly cliche book about “business success” while a half dozen rescue dogs frolic on the lawn with some mini goats.
Paradise is what you make it.
D- Your best quality and your worst defect:
K- Best: Honesty. I don’t sugarcoat things so you know I’m being real with you.
Worst: Too much honesty… Haha
D- You only have two days left, what would you do?
K- Day 1: Ride all day then chill on the beach with people I love, at sunset, listening to every song that made us feel some type of way
Day 2: Order all the good food and have a lot of sex. Like, an ungodly amount of sex with someone I love.
Sip some whiskey and donate a bunch of money to animal charities while listening to Johnny Cash on vinyl.
D- The craziest thing you have done:
K- DJ’ing topless in front of thousands of people. It was empowering and liberating as all hell, and such a rush.
D- A success and a failure:
K- I’ve totally designed some jewelry that turned out ridiculous. Fail haha.
But it’s made me a better designer and makes the pieces that turn out such a win! ..Which is success.
D- With which known person would you take a trip through Europe?
K- Russell Brand in a heartbeat. He’s hilarious yet intellectual I bet he would be a riot!
– A phrase: A wolf will never be a pet
– A film: Party Monster
– A song: Tyler Childers – Whitehouse Road
– A drink: Man O’ War Cocktail
– A city: Canggu, Bali
WHAT DOES KAE PREFER?
- Ten years in a coma /Ten years in jail
- City life / Country life
- Talking to animals / Talking to the dead
- A good book /A good movie
- Only being able to whisper / Only being able to scream
- Lifetime free wifi / Lifetime free coffee
- Singing in public / Dancing in public
- To only eat salty / To only eat sweet (because cheesecake)
- Waking up in a desert / In a boat in the middle of the Ocean (You can roast a scorpion but raw fish? no thanks )
- Knowing what you will die of/ Knowing what day you will
- Something organized / Something improvised
- Music concert / Theater play
- Visiting the past / Visiting the future (Pretty rude I wasn’t born in the late 60s)
- Being unable to see / Being unable to hear
- Light on / Light off
- Reality/ Fiction
- Motorcycle trip / Car trip
- Never leaving your city / Not being able to return
- Being submissive / Being dominant
- Continuing with your life / Restarting your life