Entre Indígenas- Who is Jamie Nelson?
Jamie Nelson- A fashion and beauty photographer with a funky house and funky style to match living in Los Angeles trying to time warp to the 70s.
E- How and when did the love for photography come about?
J- I was in high school and failing art class due to not being able to draw or paint when I discovered photography. My friends and I would run around in nature in Colorado and take artistic photos of each other and get them developed at Walmart. At the age of 17 I decided to enroll at Brooks Institute of photography to pursue a career in it.
E- What is your source of inspiration?
J- I get inspiration from all over. Mostly I like to get it internally through things I experience with friends or beauty I see in my own life. I also draw inspiration in a vintage aesthetic that unfortunately was before my time. It’s a nod to the good old days when things seemed wilder with less rule and censorship.
E- Where and how would you like to see yourself 10 years from now?
J- I would like to be shooting all the top campaigns and editorials of course. It would be great to spend more time on personal work and move further into video as well. In general I am happy continuing to do what I love for as long as I can!
E- What do you like to convey with your photos?
J- I love to make every subject feel beautiful and part of a collaboration to create art in the end. In every photo I want to capture a mix of commercial, editorial, and fine art so that everyone can take something away from each image. I love taking images that are iconic, with purpose, and are classic, not just trendy or disposable.
E- When did you learn to ride motorcycles? Who taught you?
J- I started riding about 7 years ago in New York City. I didn’t know anyone, but I took a MSF class and eventually worked my way into city riding and getting plugged into motorcycle groups and events on the east coast.
E- With which known person would you take a trip through Europe?
J- Oh wow. I would go anywhere with Steven Tyler.
E- A success and a failure.
J- Wow Too many to list. Every day is full of both and either way I move on quickly.
– A phrase: I’m gunna be where I’m at. Eddie Murphy, Raw
– A film: Gummo
– A song: Here I go again. Whitesnake
– A drink: Sherry
– A city: Venice, Italy
WHAT DOES JAMIE NELSON PREFER?
- Ten years in a coma / Ten years in jail
- City life / Country life
- Talking to animals / Talking to the dead
- A good book / A good movie
- Only being able to whisper / Only being able to scream
- Lifetime free wifi / Lifetime free coffee
- Singing in public / Dancing in public
- To only eat salty / To only eat sweet
- Waking up in a desert / In a boat in the middle of the Ocean
- Knowing what you will die of / Knowing what day you will
- Something organized / Something improvised
- Music concert / Theater play
- Visiting the past / Visiting the future
- Being unable to see / Being unable to hear
- Light on / Light off
- Reality / Fiction
- Motorcycle trip / Car trip
- Never leaving your city / Not being able to return
- Being submissive / Being dominant
- Continuing with your life / Restarting your life