TRADITIONAL OUTLAW ART
Desert Mama- Who is Cvlt Cowboy and where can we find him? Tell us about yourself:
Cvlt Cowboy- I’m an artist based out of Los Angeles, CA who specializes in traditional black work designs. My art speaks to the outlaws, the rebels, the outcasts, and the honkey tonks. It’s all equally sexy, disturbing and badass.
DM- How and when did the love for Illustrating come about?
C- Ever since I was able to hold a pencil I’ve been drawing a sketching up skulls, bats, and other weird things.
DM- Is it an innate talent or did you study art?
C- I guess you could say both. Like I said I’ve been doing some sort of art for as long as I can remember so as I got older it was only natural to curate it and go achieve some sort of schooling for it. I have a BFA in Interactive Design & Animation w/ a concentration in graphic design.
DM- What inspires you, and what other artist currently working do you admire?
C- I’m inspired by a lot of music, cinema, and photography usually. Classic westerns and campy horror flicks are usually a go to. On the music end I can go from listening to a blackened deathcore band like Lorna Shore to a bluesy rock sound like the black keys and then straight to an Amigo The Devil track; so it all depends on the day. For photography, people like Todd Blubaugh and Ben Christensen just have such a way of capturing beautiful life.
DM- Show us what you think is your best Illustration by now and tell us why you love it:
C- I don’t know if it’s necessarily my best but it’s definitely one of my most meaningful and it seems to resonate with people a lot. The full rendition of the Cvlt Cowboy riding away with arrows in him but still strong is my own personal metaphor of continuing to move forward through the hard times and difficulties no matter what. Perseverance through unimaginable obstacles.
DM- In your opinion, What is the key to success?
C- Happiness and fulfillment. The most successful person to me is not necessarily the person with the heaviest bank account but the person that is the most happy and at peace with their life and work on the daily. Finding true peace is so hard in this world so once you have it, never let it go because you’ve finally made it.
DM- The part you love the most of what you do, and the least part:
C- I live creating cool designs for cool people, I’d eating and then seeing it through to get my clients initial reactions is always the best. I hate creating tons of files though, it’s tedious and time consuming but I get it.
DM- Where and how would you like to see yourself 10 years from now?
C- Probably still doing the same thing only with a kid or two running around annoying me while I do. Longevity is also a difficult thing to maintain as a small artist. Trends come and go so relevancy can effect your work but I’ll be here drawing Broncos, bullets, beer, and boobs until the sun sets on me.
DM- You only have two days left, what would you do?
C- Spend it with my loved ones laughing and having a good time with good food and drinks.
DM- Other interests apart from illustrating?
C- I like playing music whenever I can. Doesn’t happen too often but when it does it’s great.
DM- Your best quality and your worst defect:
C- My best quality is probably my loyalty but my worst is my overthinking. I overthink everything and stress myself out.
DM- A success and a failure:
C- Recognition from certain peers is always nice and consistent imposter syndrome always feels like a failure.
– A phrase: “And away we go…”
– A film: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
– A song: … And I Return To Nothingness – Lorna Shore
– A drink: Jack and Coke.
– A book: The Devils Highway
– A car: 56’ Packard.
– A city: Asbury Park
WHAT DOES CVLT COWBOY PREFER?
- Ten years in a coma / Ten years in jail
- City life / Country life (City close to the country)
- Talking to animals / Talking to the dead
- Having more time / Having more money (Time only if it could also be applied to loved ones. Otherwise money)
- Constantly winter / Constantly summer
- Having a family with 5 kids / Not having kids at all
- Dogs / Cats (I have both so both)
- Waking up in a desert / In a boat in the middle of the Ocean
- Only eating salty food / Only eating sweet
- Lifetime free whiskey / Lifetime free beer
- Something organized / Something improvised
- Visiting the past / Visiting the future
- Being unable to see / Being unable to hear
- Reality / Fiction
- Never leaving your city / Not being able to return
- Continuing with your life / Restarting your life
- Knowing what you will die of / Knowing what day you will
- Music concert / Theater play