MUSICIAN & WRITER
ALEXA VAN | THE BAD SLOTH
Entre Indígenas- Who is Alexa Van, also known as ¨The Bad Sloth¨ ?
Alexa Van- Alexa Van “thebadsloth” is just a couple names for a person with a (quarter) lifetime of experiences shaping who I am today.
I wouldn’t even know how to begin to describe myself because I’m always changing, a walking contradiction that I don’t even understand half (most?) the time.
E- When did the love for music come about, and when did you start singing?
A- Some of my earliest memories were of when my mom used to play a VHS of Michael Jackson’s music videos. I was obsessed and tried to memorize all the words and dance moves everyday.
E- What is your source of inspiration?
A- I’m inspired by people who follow the beat of their own drum. People who are honest, regardless of how it looks. I want to be more like that.
E- Describe your favorite and least favorite part about being a musician?
A- My favorite part of being a musician is having a tiny inkling of an idea and watching that grow into a fucking rad song.
I love getting to collaborate with other musicians and challenging what I think I’m capable of doing. It amazes me that the ideas never stop flowing.
My least favorite part is the self-doubt. There’s something so adventurous about living in the unknown of being an artist. There’s no clear path for anyone really, especially musicians.
When it’s dark- it’s pretty fucking bleak. Some days I ask myself “why am I doing this again?” I’ve thrown in the towel multiple times but something always keeps me coming back to it.
E- Where and how would you like to see yourself 10 years from now?
A- Lately I’ve been trying less and less to envision my future. What I wanted a year ago, five years, ten years, is so vastly different from what I want today.
I will not subscribe to the mentality of forcing my will on the universe anymore. I’m trying to just take it as it comes.
Maybe I’ll end up in a hut in the wilderness, maybe a mansion in the hills. I want to trust that I’m following what feels right in the moment, not what an out-dated version of me thinks I wanted.
E- Who´s your ideal musician to collaborate with and why?
A– Someone who takes it seriously enough to show up and follow through, but not so seriously that they think it needs to be done a certain way or sound a specific way.
E- Do you have any hobbies or interests outside of music?
A- Yes! I’m a writer as well. I wrote a novel during quarantine that I’m now editing.
I like making funny videos for no one in particular and producing/ styling photoshoots.
E- Your biggest fear:
A- My fear getting in my way.
E- You best quality and your worst defect:
A- My opinion of my best quality would be my ability to empathize and see all sides of almost any situation.
Also people say I’m funny which I think is a win, even if I’m not trying to be.
My worst quality is I’m really hard on myself and often push past my own breaking point. Then I get angry and burnt out and isolate from the world.
I can’t even tell sometimes if I’m not ok until it’s wayyyy too late.
E- If you only had two days left, what would you do?
A- Buy the Louboutins I’ve been wanting and have sex with my boyfriend in public. Then karate kick a cop in the face with my new high heels and make a run for it and end up getting shot.
E- A success and a failure:
A- A success is that I am somehow still alive and ok. A failure is that I think that is a huge success.
– A phrase: “One less thing.” -Forest Gump
– A film: Green Book.
– A song: My band’s last single “Cry bb” 😉
– A drink: Coffee.
– A country: Costa Rica.
WHAT DOES ALEXA VAN PREFER?
- Ten years in a coma /Ten years in jail
(Sounds the same to me)
- City life / Country life
(I’ve always been a city person but after this last year of covid madness I’m startin to want a secluded life for the first time)
- Talking to animals / Talking to the dead
(Talking to dead animals)
- Having more time / Having more money (Time is money)
- Constantly winter / Constantly summer (I live in LA. I don’t want to be cold ever again)
- Having a family with 5 kids /Not having kids at all (No kids is the dream)
- Always having your tees two sizes bigger / Having them one size small (Depends on the day. I love my little boy T’s and my boyfriend T’s)
- Only eating salty / Only eating sweet (Chocolate forever)
- Waking up in a desert/ In a boat in the middle of the Ocean (Ocean. I’d be fine never going to the desert again)
- Something organized / Something improvised (I am a manic organizer even though I wish I was loosey goosey)
- Music concert / Theater play
- Visiting the past / Visiting the future (for suuuuure!)
- Being unable to see / Being unable to hear (I’ve contemplated this question more than I’d like to admit, but I still can’t decide because they both suck)
- Light on / Light off (mood lighting)
- Reality / Fiction (Sounds the same to me)
- Motorcycle trip / Car trip (Car 100%)
- Never leaving your city / Not being able to return
(Wow some of these questions are depressing. I guess never returning. I feel like I barely leave as it is)
- Being submissive / Being dominant (Dominant in life submissive in bed)
- Continuing with your life / Restarting your life (Couldn’t pay me to live through my Jr. High experience again)
- Knowing what you will die of/ Knowing what day you will (Neither!)